Monday, May 30, 2011

In Memorium


O5/30/2011 Human Observations
Matthew 5:20
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
On this rainy Memorial Day morning, the anniversary of my freedom from military service, my thoughts are turned to liberation.  Liberation from captivity cannot profit me if, after being liberated, I then choose to return to captivity.  Here in the USA, we have the freedom to choose.  If I see that a certain way of life is within my grasp, I am free to pursue it.  If after the apprehension of that lifestyle, I see a way that appears to be better suited for me, then I am free to pursue it.  Here in the USA, I am limited only by my own vision and determination; or lack thereof, because American citizens are not restricted to the traditions of family stations, cultural classes, or economic predispositions.  If we observe any tradition at all, it is that here in the USA, we work for what we want. 
So how can my righteousness exceed the righteousness of those whose entire lives are distinctly occupied by following the rules?  The bible submits that all of the rules point to a summit whereby all rules are fulfilled.  This summit is embodied in the person of our Kinsman Redeemer, whose obedience to the law enables Him alone to stand as a substitute for humans that are on the “spiritual death row”, as our High Priest in the presence of Him in whom there is no darkness, and as the redeemer of all that was lost in the Garden of Eden.  So, where the rules provide only to convict us of error, our eternal friend provides us life without error; and that more abundantly. 
Romans 15:4
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

It behooves us through the Word of God receive both guidance and comfort, to …  
2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

And what is the work? 

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify (not you, but rather) your Father which is in heaven. 

How can I accomplish such a tall order, except by asking the Commander who gave the order?  Being the Creator of all ability, He does not just bark orders … He enables. 

No comments: